There are three parts to become a certified USSF referee: 1) Online Grassroots Referee Course Module, approximately 4 ½ hours via the US Soccer Federation Learning Center (LC), 2) 2-hour zoom class led by an Eastern New York instructor, 3) on-field session held locally.
Registrations and payment ($170) are made through the LC. To be admitted to a zoom class, one must first complete the Online Grassroots Referee Course Module as well as other prerequisites as shown below (see components), all taken through the LC…and need to be completed a week prior to the zoom class. Additional Zoom classes are expected to continue monthly beyond that shown below*.
Upon completion of the zoom class, the student will order his/her referee uniform package (consisting of 2 shirts, socks, shorts, yellow/red cards, line flags, whistle, flip coin and carrying bag--paid for as part of the course fee) and join a local referee association, for example Westchester Soccer Referee Organization (WSRO) covering Westchester, Bronx and upper Manhattan. The WSRO will hold a field session, after which the student will receive his/her badge and will be certified to officiate.
All this is included in the instructions to be found at:
This link should take you through the entire process, summarized as follows:
1) register for a Grassroots Course which has an associated ZOOM session
2) complete the online modules (components)
3) attend the ZOOM meeting
4) complete a Field Session with your local association
5) create an Eastern NY profile in the Game Officials system
6) join the local referee association
The required minimum age is 14 years at time of enrollment.
Please enter the student’s name (not the parent’s).
Tutorials and support contacts are provided within.
1) Go to "My courses"
2) Select your course, then click Go To Classroom
3) Select the "assignments" tab at the top of the page when you are in your course
4) Be sure to complete all assignments and make sure you have a green check mark on each assignment
We are here to help you, so if you have any questions, get back to us.
Jerry Fischoff—Recruitment; email@example.com
Jack Langstine—Instruction Coordinator; firstname.lastname@example.org
*Note: Once one has created a profile, one is able to access the course dates.
To see the zoom class list:
Our (ENY) upcoming class is January 12, 7 pm via zoom. Additional sessions for 2022 will be posted shortly and announced to all on our mailing list.